Sunday, March 2, 2014

"I Want to be Thin in Order to be Happy"

We absolutely love when girls from other countries send us their writings!  It is such a beautiful thing to be able to connect with these wonderful young women from around the world.  The beautiful girl who wrote this is from France.  Take a second to check out her personal blog once you're done reading her view on girls wanting to be thin.
"I Want to be Thin in Order to be Happy"
We live in a world in which people consistently complain about our society. As a teenager myself, spending plenty of time on the internet and social networks, I read many tweets of numberless teenage girls wanting to lose weight and to be thin. “I want to be thin in order to be happy.” Because if I'm thin then I'll be happy is the most common reason read on the internet. I am astonished when my girl friends tell me that they are on diet and they do not eat anything at all, except for dinner. I’m trying hard to make them understand that thinness does not bring happiness. The major problem is that most of today’s teenagers are struggling with acceptance issues. Dealing with it is difficult for the majority of us and we do not always have the right people by our side.
I’m a sixteen-year-old normal-weighted girl who doesn’t mind hanging out with friends who don’t necessary have the same weight as me. I am not the only one. There are plenty of others like me, thinking the same way. I learned from myself, from my life, my family issues and from my mistakes. I might be thin but it does not mean I am fully happy with what’s going on in my life. People don’t end up with me because of my body. Teens don’t mind anymore, you hurt yourself by yourself. Weighing three pounds less (or more) than her will not - cannot - make you a better person. Losing weight to look better from our society’s perspective certainly is the worst reason to lose weight. It’s regretful that teenagers, in 2014, reject many clichés from elder generations but not the one that says if you’re fat then you’re not worth it. They do fear less the fact of being gay, for instance, than the fact of not being skinny enough. These people still complain about the sadness of our society while they are on a diet, and that is really startling because actually they are submissive to it simply by doing it. Thus it is disappointing. However, the “be yourself” motto is not significant anymore because society is changing you without you even noticing.

Being yourself and learning to know you is such an important phase of youth. Some are trying to elapse it as if it was no big deal. Losing weight to feel more confident that you can change is completely different that doing it to feel better in front of others. Nevertheless, you have to accept your body before changing it. Nothing is wrong in being skinny or being plump. Do not ever let society take over and overwhelm you.  You’re much more than a stereotype.  

-Giulia Caggiano
Age: 16


No comments:

Post a Comment